Today’s blog is going to be a cross between a public service announcement and a love letter. So if that sort of thing doesn’t appeal to you, this might be one of those Gabs that you skip.
But you really shouldn’t. And I’ll know if you do. (That Gabby Abby is WATCHING.)
Remember me telling you all about my fake celebrity boyfriend, Zachary Levi? The one who stole our hearts as Chuck Bartowski? Well, he needs our help!
Nerd Nation, Activate!!!!!!!
Hang on…cart before horse…let me give you a little back story.
Prior to our trip to ComicCon 2013, I was already privy to Zac’s work. We had watched, and enjoyed, Chuck when it was still on cable. I was a fan of his work in the Disney movie, Tangled. And I thought he was a cutie patootie then, too.
Let’s face it—he is true cutie patootie material.
But it wasn’t until we went to NerdHQ that I got a glimpse into what makes Mr. Levi tick as a person, not just an actor. He gets giddy and fan-girly over the same sort of things I do (Doctor Who, Nathan Fillion, social media, etc…) He wears his heart on his sleeve for everyone to see, and he’s not afraid to shed some tears in front of the masses. And he truly, 100% believes in the charity he’s an ambassador for–Operation Smile. His huge heart, paired with his desire to bring all-things-nerdy to all of us nerds, is what ultimately made me fall in love with him.
So when Zac reached out earlier this month asking for donations to help him make NerdHQ a success in 2014, I ran to answer the call. And it occurred to me that some of my fellow nerds might be interested in helping Zac, and the greater community of Nerdom, too. Let’s not rely on me to tell you the story…I’ll let Zac do the heavy lifting.
(As you can see, Zac followed my lead and decided to use IndieGoGo to fund his campaign. He saw how successful we were over the holidays with our Pack My Pontiac drive, and jumped on the bandwagon. Smart boy.)
While Brian and I won’t get the opportunity to go to ComicCon, or NerdHQ, this summer, we still want to support it going forward. Why? Because it was the most amazing experience we’ve ever had. (And we didn’t even make it into any of the panels!!) Getting the opportunity to get up close and personal with a few of our favorite celebrities was the highlight of our California vacation. Plus, even though we’ll be staying at home, we’ll still be able to experience the panels at NerdHQ via live streaming!
So, here’s what you’ll be doing if you donate that hard earned $5 in your pocket:
1) You’ll be helping my “boyfriend” out of a tight financial spot. This will allow us to vacation more freely in August. You have my thanks in advance.
2) You’ll be funding an experience for fellow nerds out there, and giving them the opportunity to relax and party in the coolest environment offered in the entire ComicCon universe.
3) You’ll be helping Zac, and his group of supporters, create an event that will ultimately help them make money to donate to a worthy cause. (Read: your dollars will help them make dollars that will help fix cleft palates across the world.)
And here’s what you’ll get out of that donation:
1) The satisfaction of knowing that you did something AWESOME.
2) Your name on the giant NerdHQ wall of fame. (ERMYGERD! Yer FERMEROUS!)
3) The opportunity to sit back and watch the hilarity unfold in July as Zac and his friends get all nerdy together. (And if that’s not worth $5, then what is??)
You’ll also get my thanks, fellow nerds. Because even if I won’t be able to launch myself at Zac (or Nathan Fillion, or Tom Hiddleston, or Joss Whedon, or Sarah Michelle Gellar, or any other Nerd Ambassadors) this year….
So get to clickin’, people! Let’s make this happen…for me, for Zac, and for nerds EVERYWHERE!
I’ll be keeping track of how far we have come in this funding process with a nifty little gadget in the right column. So keep checking back to see how far your dollars have gone!!